Black Education - An Evaluation


Black Education and the Western education - are they different? Dr. Carter G. Woodson, the father of the Month Black History in 1933, poor education of blacks said they should be, not so much due to racial differences as the difference between the circumstances in which many African Americans are forced to live. In today's terms, blacks are no longer isolated by the communities in need of care that segregation. Black teachers, community elders and neighbors are no longer a factor in prolonged education of black children. Western Education may be the only legitimate form of education they receive.

For me personally, I was born and I grew up in Shreveport, Louisiana, where the integration of the school system did not really begin until the late 1970s. When I started to score well on academic tests, I was put in advanced classes that normally I was one of maybe two or three black students in a class full of white. Curriculum of the West has learned so well that when I entered college that had no way to express what I wanted to say the darkness.

This is a very embarrassing example.

Even though I was a high school student success, most of my success is due to trial and error. In college, the issuance of a document of the first year in English, I chose the Civil War. Not understand that the history books are written to reflect the values ​​of the researchers, the evidence that I used to support my work promotes the heroism of a Confederate general.

So there I was with a full role done by my own hands, as I learned in my extensive training, the defense of a Confederate general who defended slavery of my own ancestors. Worse, my parents every morning before going to school, picking cotton in the fields planting as their ancestors before them in bondage, suffering supervisors prewar attitudes unchanged and the media.

Can you imagine a Jewish child is taught in the defense of the Nazis? Although no one put a gun to his head and said that the role of writing, my Western education had taught me how to write essays, not how to evaluate the evidence. I felt sick to realize it was too late to change the subject and I had to turn the paper in.

My paradigm shifted accordingly. A black education has become a necessity for me this time. Actively sought black teachers could show me how to evaluate materials for me to express my own experiences and perspectives. Over time, I attended an HBCU, historically black college or university. I learned that there is great diversity within the black race. I met some black people around the world, from different economic levels, representing all shades of color and perspective.

HBCU was also a book where I found Dr. Woodson. According to him, a coarse black is one who receives a comprehensive Western education and is therefore able to provide effective solutions to help you advance your own career, because she identifies so well with Western culture, denying the property value.

Black education, especially that of a HBCU, teaches the value of self-complementing Western education. It has the power to help African-Americans are more rounded and fulfilled.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire