Three Things I Learned About Ice Climbing


Why do you want ice climbing?

"Why exactly do you want to climb a frozen waterfall?" This is the question I asked about two dozen times in the last two months. My enthusiasm is still the same "because it sounds so good!" However, I found the puzzled faces and wrinkled brow. "Me Well, do not!" They responded.




That's fine with me. I am learning to swim against the tide and do things that others can not imagine ever done or will do. I guess I'll learn to be a little rebellious.

The rebel within

I called a rebel is quite fun if you know me. I'm as harmless as a mouse. My role has always been to encourage others to do what we are called to do. Learn to follow my vocation, most of the time seems to go against the grain of mainstream, middle-aged material is new to me. But I find myself quickly enough to new things so it becomes easier.

Determined not to be deterred, I stayed the course. Reminded Front Range Climbing Co. and asked if the fall was frozen enough to reach everything and I said yes! Acting on impulse, I booked my adventure and said proudly the world, including my husband, what I was doing.

Now, Dan is better not to doubt my sanity and this time really surprised me! It is always encouraging, but sometimes you wonder why I want to do the things I want to do. This time has come to me and even if he does not ice climbing came and did a fantastic job of taking pictures and video of my big day. It is impressive to encourage me to do my thing and he is patient because I think it is really just my thing!

These equipment

The first thing to do was fitted for the right equipment. We first had to find the right size to start climbing. Hiking boots are made to very tight belt and have a special grove around the edge so you can add more later spike in ice safely.

I had to wear many layers starting with leggings and ski pants and tight. A hat and topped helmet head. Then came the harness so that it can be roped and roping by my partner safely.

After all this, I'm already sweaty, but we had to have all the necessary equipment with us and then go hiking in the fall. The ride was only about 1/3 of a mile, but then I had to break the hair and beautiful way to work our way down the stream below the falls, then the base of the falls. It was hard, but very exciting.

Marvel Silver Cascade Falls froze my eyes widened in amazement. Ice waterfall is a sight to see and I only saw one other in my life. The idea that I'd climbed the ice wall that gave me goosebumps. Surprisingly, I was not scared, excited and nervous with anticipation.

Rescue Squad arrived

I had to laugh because it is at the base of the waterfall was a six-man team from the Department of Colorado Springs fire and rescue squad training on the ice! It must be God's work, because I think he has a very good sense of humor. No doubt between my guide and instructor Dan, and all fire service was in good hands. These guys can handle any problems that might come in for a sprained ankle to a heart attack! I think God was trying to take care of me for ice climbing this thing is a bit extreme for an average age of mother like me! Either that or my guide Dan had already called for backup before he gave me on the ice. I think it was God. Touch God! Very funny!

Picking my way

After some rope tie lesson and using my crampons and my choice Dan said he was ready. "Well, that's nothing!" I thought I started the selection determination on the ice, do not be surprised when she sang as firmly stuck waiting patiently for me to take me with him. I quickly learned the trick c ' is to swing your selection on a piece of jagged ice with snow on it if you can find it. Try to ensure that the selection is right there. swing their other selection in the same way. Now you are ready to push with fingers and extend. After landing on the next stage of your toes you put it directly into the ice with your pushed down. Try to imagine getting on your toes and pulling with their selections heels. Both you tried your choice and forehand for the feet is quite simple. Not easy, but certainly doable.

The dreaded screaming barfies

And now, my guide Dan mentioned this horrible thing that could be called "barfies shouting" and has certainly caught my attention. "What is barfies scream?" I asked. I myself -even a reasonably intelligent person believes and my ears Freshman encouraged to talk about this horrible thing.

Dan explained that novices tend to be nervous and keep your team too hard. As they make their way through the wall of his muscles tighten. When you add the item sometimes cold outside, your hands are frozen as you climb. When you reach the top and it feels hot foot goes to sleep and makes you feel creepy crawly, just multiply by 10, and the result is what you want to cry and / or vomit!

The terrifying visions

"My God, what did I get?" I thought the visions of me dancing around the top of the cascade of screaming and vomiting as all firefighters and Rescue Squad and my instructor seen from below. Oh, that is-what is worse, my husband would have loved it in the movie! Determined to avoid screaming barfies first winery I hit my toe on the ice and hung my choice.

Determined to keep my dignity in this adventure carefully worked my way up the ice wall with my selection very conscious not to keep too much. The memories of my youth made me think it was my choice slinging Yukon Cornelius in the history of beloved Christmas "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!"

Before I knew I was at the top of the waterfall and ready to rappel!

Lower need is faith in your partner and a little courage, but once you get going it's actually the most fun part if you ask me! I "am" along the wall and high-fived my instructor!

I am proud to say that in my four-hour private lesson, I managed to climb to the top of the waterfall five times! Dan, my instructor told me several times that I was really doing a good job and was a natural! I never tell him that it was only because I was so motivated! There is no way on earth you'll get barfies cry or need to be rescued by the Colorado Springs Fire Department search and rescue team! No wonder he was a good student!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire